To all of the members and guest of Gethsemane Baptist Church, your health and safety is our first priority. We are taking every precaution to safeguard our house of worship from the COVID-19 Virus. Our trustees are following the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) guidelines for cleaning and sanitizing building and we have installed hand sanitizing stations throughout. In addition to this, we are updating our emergency preparedness plan. Please begin preparing by subscribing to our emergency preparedness plan. Please begin preparing by subscribing to our Youtube channel, GBC TV and becoming familiar with the various methods of giving electronically. Please practice proper hand washing as recommended by the CDC. Also, if you are sick please respect others and stay home until you are well and join us on-line. Though we practice good hygine and respect for others around us, we also stand upon the Word of God, in Psalms 91:10, "There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling." Be safe and may God bless each of you.
Yours in Christ,
Pastor Riddick, Leadership and Staff
Update 3/14/2020 at 9:00 AM
In the wake of the recent COVID-19 Virus Pandemic, we are taking precautionary measures to ensure the safety of our members and the community at large. They are as follows:
- We are having worship tomorrow. However, we will have three services at 8:00 AM, 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM. Each Service will be one hour long. To minimize the number of people in the building at once, we are asking that members choose one service to attend. We are also asking member to sanitize their hands before entering the building.
- Our Trustees are cleaning and sanitizing our building today according to the Center for Disease Preventions’ (CDC) guidelines and will do so following each service.
- We will worship with Oak Grove Baptist Church, 2635 E Washington St, Suffolk, VA, at 3:00 PM. However, we will not be providing transportation and members are asked to drive.
- There will be three church-wide conference calls today at Noon, 4:00 PM and 7:00 PM to provide members with updates and plans going forward. Members are asked to select one time to call in. You can join the conference call by dialing (712) 770-5505 and using the Access Code: 645219.
Please continue to check your email, text messages, social media and GBC TV for the latest updates.
Update 3/14/2020 at 2:16 PM
In addition to the precautionary measures mentioned in the previous email, please consider the following...
- Our number-one priority is the safety, well-being and comfort of ALL of our members, leadership and staff. We would absolutely LOVE to see you in one of our THREE services and at Oak Grove tomorrow. However, if you do not feel comfortable, please feel free to take advantage of our live stream and electronic giving. Both can be accessed through our website gethsemanebaptist.org. You can also access the live stream using GBC TV on YouTube.
- If you or anyone in your household has a cough and/or fever, or you simply don't feel well, we invite you to take advantage of our live stream and electronic giving as well.
Again, please continue to check your email, text messages, social media and GBC TV for the latest updates.
Update 3/15/2020 10:53 AM
To keep everyone safe during the COVID-19 Virus Pandemic, all activities at Gethsemane Baptist Church have been cancelled this week and the administrative office is closed to the public. Please continue to monitor your email, text messages, social media and GBC TV for the latest updates.
Update 3/17/2020 8:10 PM
We pray that all is well with each of you as we navigate these peculiar times. There will be TWO church-wide conference calls tomorrow, Wednesday, March 18th at 1 PM and 7 PM to provide members with updated information. Members are asked to choose ONE of the times provided for their convenience.
The conference call in information is as follows: Dial In Number: 712-770-5505, Access Code: 645219
Please continue to monitor your email, text messages, social media and GBC TV for the latest updates.
Update 5/4/2020 4:08 PM
Updated Covid - 19 Service Times
During the Covid - 19 Pandemic Crisis we will be having services on the following days and times:
Sunday Morning services will be held at 9:30 AM. You participate in service by joining us via Live Stream (by clicking watch live on our website homepage, or on the Youtube GBC TV Channel, Facebook Live and Periscope).
Bible Study will be held on Thursdays at 12:30 PM and 7:00 PM. You participate in service by joining us via Live Stream (by clicking watch live on our website homepage, or on the Youtube GBC TV Channel, Facebook Live and Periscope).
You can view a full list of activities on our Events page.
Update 5/16/2020 12:58 PM
Updated Covid - 19 Service Times
As many of you are aware, Governor Ralph Northam has begun phase 1 of opening Virginia. A component of this phase allows churches to reopen at 50% capacity. This means that we could open and have our church half-filled. Though the governor has included the church opening during this phase, as your Pastor and Spiritual Leader, I am under the impression that this is NOT the time for us to come back into the sanctuary.
Currently, there is no vaccine or treatment for COVID-19, which puts us at risk. I believe that God wants us whole and healed. Let’s take a little more time to make sure that when we come into the building, we will be safe.
What do we do in the meantime? We continue to worship and serve. Over the past weeks, we have been gathering for worship online, on the Radio and on the church parking lot. We will continue meeting as we have in these ways. There will be one addition. Members who choose to worship by driving their automobiles to the church parking lot may bring lawn chairs to sit in or they may stand outside of their vehicles. If members get out of their automobiles, we ask that we would be thoughtful and respectful by maintaining social distance and wearing a mask. One way that we can practice social distancing in the parking lot is to have all persons in a single vehicle remain on the driver’s side of their vehicle. Members are asked not to walk around, greet others, shake hands or make any kind of contact.
We are being told that the world will not go back to business as usual. This includes the church. To that end, I’m asking everyone to be flexible and open to the changes we may need to make. Remember, the goal is to worship while keeping everyone safe.
I encourage your continued support. I cannot express my gratitude enough for your faithfulness in supporting the church financially as our expenses continue and as we navigate new and creative ways to worship to include meeting via zoom, conference calls etc., and viewing worship online and on the Radio. We’ve endeavored to have a way to reach everyone in the way that they need us. If you are not able to stay connected to Gethsemane, please do not hesitate to contact me and let me know. I will do my best to make sure that we do our best to keep you connected.
When the time comes for us to come back into the building, rest assured that I along with the staff and leadership team will lay out a comprehensive plan for doing so.
Let’s pray one for another, let’s keep up the good work, and more importantly, let’s stay safe.